Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back from Little Rock

I attended my first major genealogy conference last week.  The FGS (Federation of Genealogical Societies)  conference in Little Rock, Arkansas.

One of the first things I learned is that there are plenty of acronyms to learn.

Tuesday evening I attended "Developing a Research Plan" presented by J. Mark Lowe, CG (Certified Genealogist) and found it very informative.

Wednesday I attended the APC PMG (Association of Professional Genealogists Professional Management Conference). All the sessions were excellent, but I think the most helpful was "Elements of a Good Client Agreement" by Richard Camaur, J.D., C.G.  Now if I start a business, I'll have the beginnings of a client agreement to work with.

Thursday my favorite session was "Civil War Research-Getting Started" presented by Richard G.  Sayre, CG. This was my favorite because my GGGrandfather was in the Civil war, and now I have a much better idea how to research his wartime experiences.

Friday I think the most useful class was "Certification: Measuring Yourself Against Standards" with Thomas W. Jones, Ph.D, , Cg, CGL, FSG, FUGA, Elissa Scalise Powell, CG and Paula Stuart-Warren, CG. I learned I'm not ready to get certified, and have a much better idea of what I need to do to get prepared.

Saturday, probably the most rewarding class was "Understanding Copyright and Plagarism: A Selected Bibliography for Genealogist" presented by Drew Smith, MLS.  I have a lot of reading up to do on copyright as well.

I also have hours of reading to do at home since we got the conference syllabus on CD.  I can catch up a little on the classes I missed.

And oh yes, I saw the Peabody Ducks do their march one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment