Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Genealogy Goals

I'm a little late posting this, but after reading several other genealogist's resolutions, I thought it might help me to post some myself. I've never done this before, so it will be interesting to see how many I accomplish by next year.

First of all, I want to blog more. Especially Scrapbook Sunday suggested by Jennifer Shoer of the Scrappy Genealogist and the "52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy" by Amy Coffin of the We Tree Blog. Part of me says I want to blog every day, but I'll be reasonable and try for 3 times a week. I also want to redesign my blog a bit.


Next, I have changed my genealogy software several times in the past year. I have finally settled on Roots Magic for my primary software. However, in the process, most of my citations have been messed up. This is actually good, because I can now re-do them consistently. I've digitized pretty much all my documents over the years, but they need re-named, re-organized and attached to my genealogy program. This is a big job, but I have a full year.


I am also 99% sure I qualify for the DAR. I would liked to finish up that line, and submit the paperwork. There is a local chapter I need to visit first though.

I want to be a bit more diligent about preparing for my NGSQ study nights and ProGen assignments.

I'd like to join a society and participate in it. I'd also like to start volunteering at a FHL or the National Archives. Both of these will probably have to wait a few months due to some personal issues, but I'm hoping by June or July they will be feasible.

I'm also interested in the "buddy" concept mentioned by Amy Coffin of the We Tree Blog and Denise Levenick of The Family Curator Blog, and Marian Pierre-Louis of Marian's Roots and Rambles.  If you are looking for a buddy, let me know in the comments.

As far as life in general, I'd like to procrastinate a lot less, eat more fruits and vegetables (at least one per meal) and add another hour a week to my walking schedule. More energy = more genealogy. Oh, and keep up with my housecleaning a bit more. Well, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment